Thursday, May 7, 2009

Superheroes


What makes a superhero?
Can they fly?
Can they run exceptionally well?
Are they supernaturally gifted?
OR
Do superheroes come in the guise of children?
I'm not sure who once said that mother is the name for God on the lips of all children. It is true. Mothers are given a wonderful, amazing gift. We are chosen to take another human being and mold it into a member of society. We are trusted by a higher power to instill proper care and education- not the college kind- the manner and appropriate actions kind. We teach the most inportant lessons, how to love, how to cope, and and how to treat others. And we do most of this by example. We are all blessed with an entire person.
But in my case my son is the hero. He thinks BIG, He understands BIG, He learns BIG, and he teaches BIG.
In his six year old world a kindergarten bully can ruin his life, yet he has been strong enough to carry me through many ordeals that I myself, could not have gotten through with out him. There were times before he was born I thought about suicide, considered it. My life was a mess and my mind was even worse. I know everyone has lows but these were serious thoughts. I was alone I life, his father having left me at 6 months pregnant, for another girl. I am well aware that my situation was a choice and my choices paved my path. I am also well aware that the birth control pill isn't always effective and that people can pretend to be someone else until they have you where they want you and then they can choose to leave. I was divorced and self employed in a job that I hated and made very little money at.
After he was about three weeks old I am not sure what overcame me. He smiled and I just knew I had to change.
Since then I have stabilized my thoughts, I have survived a lot worse than my son's father walking out and I have realized if not for Seth I may have never gotten myself up and out and happy. I would not have seen how unfit I was as a human being.
So in my world, superheroes snuggle at bedtime, and they believe in Santa, and love to be tickled, and want to eat corn dogs. They always tell the truth even if it hurts, they want to play video games constantly and they are no taller than 4 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment